Your Questions About Credit Reports Gov

Jenny asks…

what can you do to raise your credit score if you have really bad credit?

What immediate steps can you take to raise your credit score? And should I still be seeing things on my credit report from 1999? I have since paid off these bills but yet they show up. What steps can I take to raise my score

John answers:

There are many things one can do, it takes time though.
Here are links to help you and it is free
Building a better credit report.

What you need to know about your credit.

Credit and your consumer rights.

Here are the statute of limitations on credit reports.
The credit bureaus keep your personal credit history for periods between 7 and 10 years:
Unpaid Tax Lien – Indefinitely
Chapter 7 Bankruptcies – 10 years from date filed.
Public Records – 7 years from the date of payment;
Closed or Inactive Accounts – 10 years from the date of last activity;
Derogatory Accounts – 7 years from the date of original delinquency;

Hope this is of help.

Linda asks…

Is there a category for finances or credit Bureau problems on yahoo answers?

Does anybody know of any good books or websites on fixing good credit gone bad or dealing with the three major credit reporting agencies when they have a lot of misinformation.

John answers:…


FTC FCRA Staff Opinion Letters…

FTC FDCPA Staff Opinion Letters…

FTC free annual credit report…



my favorite FREE credit discussion board:…

David asks…

What number do you call for your when your indentity has been stolen?

Like if I want to call the credit bureau? And do I need to pull out all 3 credit reports or with one is enough? I was told I need to pull out all 3 of them. Thank in advance for your help.

John answers:

1. Contact all the 3 credit reporting companies.

Here’s their contact information.

* Equifax: 1-800-525-6285;;
P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374 – 0241

* Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742);;
P.O. Box 9532 Allen , TX 75013

* TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289;; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, PO Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

2. File a report with your local police. To find out if your state law accepts reports on identity theft, check your state Attorney General’s office at

3. You should also file a complaint at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Contact them by phone at 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338); TTY: 1-866-653- 4261, or by mail at::
Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW, Washington, DC, 20580

You can also visit the FTC website at

Richard asks…

Can a NY State Tax Lien can it be remove from credit hystory?

Greeting, I have a question next week on friday I will conclude my debt with the NYS Gov. On top of all that the NYS furnish a Tax Lien against my credit back in 2008. Now my question is, is it posible to remove these Tax Lien on my credit report or hystory or do they stay there for 7 years even when I pay off all my taxes. I really need some help here as you know Im trying to rebuild my credit and things look good.

John answers:

It can be removed, but not now. It stays for 7 years or until you pay it, whichever is longer. It stays for 7 years, but only for 7 years, because you paid. If you did not pay, it would stay forever.

Robert asks…

How Do I Dispute fraudulent activity on my Credit report?

It’s my mother credit report and she’s disabled and can’t read and write. she had a money advisor to help her with pay her bills with her social security benefits, but the lady went and got credit cards and banking accounts in her name, and she didn’t pay them. now there 6 charge offs as bad debits in her name how can i help her get those removed.

John answers:

If her cards, bills or identification have been misused to open new accounts in her name, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Call toll-free
1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338);
TDD: 202-326-2502, or visit

You might also want to notify Social Security right away to have this person removed as the payee of your mothers funds. Here is there web site:

Also get a fraud alert placed on her credit reports by contacting the credit reporting agencies. You may have to get power of attorney from your mother. If another family member has power of attorney, have them file the fraud alert. Here are their phone numbers
Equifax 1-800-525-6285
Experian 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion 1-800-680-7289

Once you are able to prove those accounts to have fraudulentlyently opened, then the CRA”S will remove them from her credit report.

Hope this helps answer your question

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.